Postural AssessmentPosture is an attitude of the body. Good posture cannot be defined by a rigid formula; it is usually considered to be the natural and comfortable bearing of the body in normal, healthy persons. This means that in a standing position the body is naturally, but not rigidly, straight, and that in a sitting position the back is comfortably straight. Good standing and sitting posture helps promote normal functioning of the body's organs and increases the efficiency of the muscles, thereby minimizing fatigue.
Having good posture is important for breathing and spine strength. However, millions of people suffer from bad posture and the pain caused by it. Bad posture can cause anything from back and shoulder pain to frequent headaches and Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) dysfunction. By understanding the causes of bad posture, the condition can be corrected.
At dundalk physical therapy we can provide you with the better posture programe. This will entail a detailed postural assessment where the specific muscle imbalances will be identified and appropriate corrective exercises will be prescribed. An important part of creating long term postural change is education and awareness. It is all about breaking bad habbits and this takes time and persistence. We will provide you with an understanding of what these habbits are and the techniques to break them.
• Keeps bones and joints in the correct alignment so that muscles are being used properly.
• Helps decrease the abnormal wearing of joint surfaces that could result in arthritis.
• Decreases the stress on the ligaments holding the joints of the spine together.
• Prevents the spine from becoming fixed in abnormal positions.
• Prevents fatigue because muscles are being used more efficiently, allowing the body to use less energy.
• Prevents strain or overuse problems.
• Prevents backache and muscular pain.
• Contributes to a good appearance.
How we can help you: